The Palm Desert Rotary Club was the first civic organization in Palm Desert. When Palm Desert Rotary Club began, there were 2,380 residents and 150 telephones in the community and from its inception, has been a driving force for good in the community.
- In the early 1990’s our Club donated $20,000 to fund the building of Shelter from the Storm, a facility that cares for battered women and children.
- In 1994, our Club donated $10,000 to Foundation for the Retarded of the Desert (now DesertArc).
- Our Club sponsored Rancho Mirage, Palms to Pines, and Indian Wells Rotary Clubs.
- Our Club was the initial sponsor for the Community Blood Bank.
- Our Club established the Boys and Girls Club and the Palm Desert Boy Scouts (1989-1990)
- Our Club established Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Desert (1994-1995)
- Our Club has raised money for local charities such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Desert, DesertArc (formerly known as Foundation for the Retarded of the Desert), Boys and Girls Club of the Coachella Valley, Shelter from the Storm, Safehouse of the Desert, Coachella Valley Rescue Mission, The Pendleton Foundation, Lincoln Elementary School Library, and the Palm Desert High School and College of the Desert Scholarship Programs.
In the decades of our Club’s existence, we have participated in numerous projects in the community and much more. However, we continue to build new projects and support new programs. Since 2013, we have been a major supporter of projects in the East Coachella Valley notably the Galilee Center and clean water installations. We now provide scholarships to students at Cal State University San Bernardino Palm Desert Campus and have recently founded a Rotaract club on campus. Our club also supports a number of other programs for youth including RYLA and PRYDE, Interact and Earlyact clubs, exchange students, speech, math and music contests.